I have designed, manufactured, project-managed/ installed a vast array of creative undertakings. In the early days, I had neither the qualifications nor experience to be doing whatever I got myself into. I just constantly seemed to stumble into new fields that would test me and ultimately expand my repertoire. I worked on the premise that, if you don’t know how to do something, you can always find someone who does!
But now after 30 years in the business, there are fair few people in Perth who can match my knowledge, skill and abilities.
From theatrical costume design, to fashion, large-scale merchandising, events, marketing, strategy development, exhibitions and television sets, I have had all the essential experiences.
I studied Theatre Design in Perth and Fashion in Perth and Paris.
I have sat with my knees against the catwalks of Paris watching the haute couture collections of the leading designers in the world sweep past me.
I have always been a prolific designer, but long term survival requires a great deal more than talent.
To me, being a successful designer is not about self-indulgence:
I enjoy the discipline of design; the challenge presented by the limitations of each field:
Fitting to a budget; bringing the best out of the given circumstances; lifting the spirit, elevating the self-confidence of the client; ‘nailing’ a difficult set of parameters - in style.
Solving a complex formula with the appearance of effortless grace.
- 1981: Certificate, Design Theatrical Arts
- 1982: Gown of the Year (W.A.)
- 1982:Designer of the Year (W.A.)
- 1983: Honours Diploma: Paris American Academy - Paris, France
- 1985: Dept. Industrial Development Award: “Best West Australian Fashion Collection”
- 1989: Registered own Creative Design company, BOO Creative Consultants Pty Ltd
- 1994: Best Stand: Mannasen Fine Foods - F.A.L. Christmas Expo
- 1995: Best Stand: Toyota Exhibition Auto Expo
- 1995: City of Perth Christmas Decoration Strategy
- 1995: Most Popular Christmas Features in the City of Perth: Northbridge intersection star, Perth General Post Office Façade
- 1997: Best Interior: Northbridge “Artbridge” Competition, City of Perth Christmas Arts Competition
- 1997: Best Window: People’s Choice Award - Northbridge “Artbridge” Competition, City of Perth Christmas Arts Competition
- 1999: Product Launch: Lion Nathan Brewery - Australia’s first Beet R.T.D. (Ready to Drink) MEZ
- 2000: Best Stand: Computer expo – Entertainment Centre
- 2002: First Prize: Pilbara Tourism Association - Perth Royal Show
- 2002: Purchased ‘Classic Displays’
- 2001 – 2003: Awarded best Christmas Tree in Perth - Burswood International Resort Casino
- 2004: Best Stand: Austereo Stand (92.9 F.M. & 94.5 F.M.) - ‘W A on Show’ Culture and Arts Pavilion - Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre
- 2005: Sets, props and graphics for Channel 7 Telethon - Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre
- 2007: Design consultancy – Guildford Hotel. Guildford W.A.
- 2007 : Enrolled in Diploma Course, W.A. Institute of Fashion & Textiles (Fashion Production)
- 2008: Finalist, ‘Student Runway’ W.A. Fashion Industry Awards – Costume Category
- 2008: Design, Production Coordination & Installation, Network Ten News Set
- 2009: Graduated Diploma Course, W.A. Institute of Fashion & Textiles (Fashion Production)
- 2010: Design, Production Coordination & Installation, Network Ten News Set